Inspections & Permits
The Permit and Inspection Division supports the city’s mission statement in the following ways:
- Create value added service – The division’s processes should facilitate and enhance the private construction investments being made in the community
- Develop and organize for optimal performance – The division will cooperate with other city departments to ensure timely review of applications and completion of construction projects
- Retain existing property values – Strict, yet fair, enforcement of building codes protects each individual’s property value and investment in the community
- Increase commercial development – Streamlined processes facilitate timely development that benefits the city’s tax base and creates jobs for residents
Description of Operations
The Inspections and Permits Division is responsible for receiving applications, reviewing plans, and issuing permits for a variety of construction activities that require a permit per city ordinances. Examples of permits include building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and major construction improvement permits.
The division also:
- Administers the city’s General Contractor Registration Program
- Processes alarm permit applications and renewals
- Processes the city’s Residential Rental Registration Program Applications
- Serves as an information center for the public regarding codes and other related ordinances
- Utilizes the 2015 International Building Code
For general permit and inspection questions, please contact the Inspections and Permit Division by calling 281.403.8600 during regular hours of operation. If you need to contact the Chief Building Official, please call 281.403.8556.